The Rebuilt Field Guide: Ten Steps for Getting Started
Michael White;Tom Corcoran;
Number of pages: 96
You know your Catholic parish needs to change its focus, but you’re not sure where or how to begin. In The Rebuilt Field Guide, award-winning authors Rev. Michael White and Tom Corcoran walk you through ten essential steps for getting started with your church’s reawakening.
After publishing their groundbreaking book Rebuilt in 2013 about the rebirth of the Church of the Nativity in Timonium, Maryland, Fr. Michael White and Tom Corcoran were inundated with requests for help from other Catholic parishes about where to start. Subsequent books in the Rebuilt Parish series—Tools for Rebuilding, Rebuilding Youth Ministry, and Rebuilding Your Message—offer additional means to reach the end goal of making church matter and growing disciples by challenging the faithful and reaching the lost with the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.
In the newest book in the Rebuilt Parish series, White and Corcoran lead you and your leadership team through assessment and goal-setting exercises and provide meeting templates that include prayer, scripture reflection, storytelling, and “rally cries” that become reminders of the change the team is striving toward.
This workbook offers practical steps that will help your team set change in motion with tools including:
- A checklist that helps identify the real problems facing your parish and seven questions to help you prioritize them
- A seven-part exercise to help you decide which parish activities do not support your disciple-making mission and then make a plan to stop doing them
- A simple, focused demographic assessment to help you identify your own “Timonium Tim”
- A discussion and planning guide for moving toward great liturgical music
- Seven conversation starters to help your team set a course for dealing with the conflict that inevitably comes with change
The exercises are adapted from those used at Church of the Nativity and correlate to the chapters of Rebuilt. The book will show you how to stop everything you are doing, rethink your purpose, and focus your attention on discipleship and evangelization.
Features & Benefits
- The Rebuilt Parish series of books together have sold more than 130,000 copies and have helped thousands of parishes reawaken worldwide.
- The award-winning authors have the support of Cardinals Dolan of New York, O'Malley of Boston, and other Church leaders across a wide spectrum of Catholic life for their work.
- White and Corcoran keep an active speaking schedule that has taken them to more than forty US cities and six foreign countries since the release of Rebuilt in February 2013.
Michael White earned his bachelor’s degree from Loyola University Maryland and his graduate degrees in sacred theology and ecclesiology from the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome. After being ordained a priest of the Archdiocese of Baltimore, he worked for five years as personal secretary to Cardinal William Keeler, who was then archbishop. During that time, White served as the director of the papal visit of Pope John Paul II to Baltimore.
During White’s tenure as pastor at Church of the Nativity, the church has almost tripled in weekend attendance. More importantly, commitment to the mission of the Church has grown, evidenced by the significant increase of giving and service in ministry, and much evidence of genuine spiritual renewal. White is the coauthor of Rebuilt—which narrates the story of Nativity’s rebirth—Tools for Rebuilding, and Rebuilding Your Message.
Tom Corcoran received his bachelor’s degree from Loyola University Maryland and studied theology at Franciscan University of Steubenville. Corcoran has served Church of the Nativity in a variety of roles that give him a unique perspective on parish ministry and leadership. First hired as a youth minister, Corcoran has also served as coordinator of children’s ministry and director of small groups.
Corcoran is associate to the pastor and is responsible for weekend message development, strategic planning, and staff development. He is the coauthor of Rebuilt—which narrates the story of Nativity’s rebirth—Tools for Rebuilding, and Rebuilding Your Message. When he is not working, Corcoran enjoys spending time with his wife, Mia, and their seven children, who are homeschooled in Parkville, Maryland.
The bestselling Rebuilt Parish series has established White and Corcoran as sought-after speakers across the United States. They have also addressed diocesan gatherings in Austria, Australia, Canada, Ireland, and Poland. Rebuilt has been translated into several languages.