Our Catholic Faith
Number of pages: 336
(© 2012) This textbook has been found in conformity with the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Our Catholic Faith: Living What We Believe offers a general overview of the Catholic faith as outlined by the four pillars of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and is designed for use in an introductory Catholic high school theology course. Because students enter Catholic high school with diverse catechetical instruction and formation experiences, a primary objective of this text is to get students up to speed early in their high school careers. Students are challenged to accept Jesus, commit themselves to him through the Church, and to live lives of loving service.
This revised edition of Our Catholic Faith includes several new elements:
- Profiles of Faith: Each chapter includes a profile of a saint or contemporary Christian hero. Application ideas and suggested further reading are also included.
- Explaining the Faith: Q&As about the Catholic faith based on the USCCB High School Curriculum Framework are scattered throughout the text.
- Section Summaries: Review questions and reflection starters are provided at the end of each section.
- New Chapter Summaries: A “Chapter Quick View” provides a bulleted summary with page references. A list of long-term projects provides more depth and breadth for supplemental exploration.
- Updated Features and Statistics: Throughout the text, modern, real-life stories and statistics give students opportunities to apply Church teaching to everyday situations.
This Teacher's Wraparound Edition (TWE) includes the pages of the Student Text in reduced size with lessons wrapped around the margins of those pages. In the bottom gutter additional resources for the teacher are included.
Other Features of the Teacher's Wraparound Edition:
- Includes citations to the Catechism of the Catholic Church within lesson plans.
- Offers a weekly planning chart and specific suggestions for scheduling a semester course.
- Extensive resources for teachers and students are included with each chapter.
- Several reproducible supplementary exercises and assignments not found in the student text are included and can be easily duplicated for students; they are also available online.
- Each main section in each chapter offers background information for teachers.
- Warm-up activities, extending the section ideas, and creative learning approaches allow several options for tailoring a lesson to suit the needs and schedule of your course.
Michael Francis Pennock (1945–2009) was the author of several bestselling textbooks for Catholic high schools, including Encountering Jesus in the New Testament, Your Life in Christ, Our Catholic Faith, and three recent texts to support the new US Bishops’ curriculum framework.
Pennock taught theology for more than thirty-five years, mostly at his beloved alma mater, St. Ignatius High School in Cleveland, Ohio. His students, numbering more than fifteen thousand, continue to pour out their remembrances and support for the man they called “Doc Pennock.”