Sacred Reading for Advent and Christmas 2016–2017
Apostleship of Prayer;Douglas Leonard;
Number of pages: 96
This powerful and inspiring prayer book from the Apostleship of Prayer—“the pope's worldwide prayer network”—engages readers with the Church's daily scripture readings from the beginning of Advent to Epiphany, introducing Catholics and other Christians to the traditional spiritual devotion known as lectio divina, or “sacred reading,” in a new way.
Advent and Christmas are the seasons of expectant waiting and the joyful arrival of the Christ Child, but the days are often filled with hectic preparation for the holidays. The Apostleship of Prayer—an international Jesuit prayer ministry—can lead you in an accessible, six-step process that will help create moments of peace during your busy day so you can listen to God’s Word, prayerfully respond, and explore ways the gospel reading can be applied to your daily life.
Sacred Reading for Advent and Christmas 2016–2017 is inspired by Ignatian spirituality and guides you through the Church's daily gospel readings as well as readings for solemnities and feast days, asking you to
- know that God is present;
- read the gospel;
- notice what you think and feel;
- pray for yourself and others;
- listen to Jesus; and
- ask God to show you how to live today.
Beginning with Advent and encompassing the Christmas season, this book is a catalyst for an intimate encounter with Christ by reading, reflecting, praying, and responding to the Word of God in a way that is both familiar and fresh.
Features & Benefits
- Ideal for individuals and parish-wide distribution during Advent and Christmas.
- Unlike other daily prayer resources for this season, this booklet contains readings for all of the Christmas season as well as Advent.
- In its first year, the Sacred Reading series sold more than 38,000 copies.
- The Apostleship of Prayer, known as “the pope’s worldwide prayer network,” was established in 1844 and has more than 35 million members worldwide.
- Daily readings are supported and enhanced by video commentary from AOP National Director Rev. James Kubicki, S.J., and blog posts by AOP Executive Director Douglas Leonard available on the Apostleship of Prayer website.
The Apostleship of Prayer is an international Jesuit prayer ministry that reaches more than 35 million members worldwide through its popular website, ApostleshipofPrayer.org, and through talks, conferences, publications, and retreats. Known as “the pope’s prayer group,” the Apostleship’s mission is to encourage Christians to make a daily offering of themselves to the Lord in union with the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Douglas Leonard is executive director of the Apostleship of Prayer in the United States, where he has served since 2006. He earned a bachelor’s degree in English in 1976, a master’s degree in English in 1977, and a PhD in English in 1981, all from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Leonard also has served in higher education, professional development, publishing, and instructional design as an executive, writer, editor, educator, and consultant.
Printed version available
Forthcoming: Order it now. This product will be available on the 2016/08/29.