Laugh Your Way to Grace: Reclaiming the Spiritual Power of Humor
Number of pages: 150
Laughter—the GPS System for the Soul
Laughter was honored by the ancients as a spiritual healing tool and celebrated by the world’s great religions. So why aren’t we laughing along the spiritual path today? What would happen if we did?In this personal and funny look at humor as a spiritual practice, Rev. Susan Sparks—an ex-lawyer turned comedian and Baptist minister—presents a convincing case that the power of humor radiates far beyond punch lines. Laughter can help you:
- Remove the fearful mask of a God who doesn’t laugh
- Debunk the myths that you don’t deserve joy
- Find perspective when faced with adversity• Exercise forgiveness for yourself and others
- Reclaim play as a spiritual practice
- Heal—emotionally, physically, and spiritually
- Keep your faith when God is silent
- Live with elegance, beauty, and generosity of spirit
Whatever your faith tradition—or if you have none at all—join this veteran of the punch line and the pulpit in reclaiming the forgotten humor legacy found in thousands of years of human spiritual history.
Rev. Susan Sparks, the only female comedian in the country with a pulpit, is senior pastor of the historic Madison Avenue Baptist Church in New York City (the first woman pastor in its 160-year history). She has been featured on ABC, PBS and CNN, as a regular guest with country music star Naomi Judd on Naomi’s New Morning on the Hallmark Channel, in the New York Times, and in numerous comedy clubs. She is the recipient of an award from Intersections International for her interfaith work to promote justice, reconciliation and peace among diverse communities.